How you live your life matters a lot on how to actually control and lower your blood pressure and measure using blood pressure monitor. There are lifestyle changes that you can adopt that will play a vital role in helping you reduce your high blood pressure. Here are the following lifestyle changes;
- Reduce the amount of alcohol that you take – You might wonder why you are supposed to reduce the amount and not to stop completely. This is because as much as alcohol is not good for your health, taking it in small amount can be good since it helps in lowering your blood pressure by consuming at least 2 to 4 mm hg. Drinking too much of alcohol interferes with your blood pressure and instead of lowering it then raises it and also lowers the effectiveness of the medication you are taking.
- Eating of a healthy diet – You might be eating properly but the question is are you eating healthy? You are supposed to ensure that your meal is consisted of fruits, vegetables, dairy products that are of low fats, whole grains, skimps and even cholesterol. This kind of diet helps a lot in lowering your blood pressure to approximately 14 mm hg. It might prove difficult to suddenly change how you eat but by keeping a food diary which will help you in writing down what you will eat, keeping track of what you eat, in what quantity, when and why you should eat that. Secondly, by being a shopper that is smart this is where you ensure you read the labels on every food product you will then know what to get and lastly, boosting the level of potassium in your body. Potassium is known for reducing the effects that sodium got on your blood pressure. Vegetables, fruits and also supplements are known to be rich in potassium.
- By exercising regularly – When you do regular exercise let us say at least a couple of minutes every day of the week will help much when it comes to lowering your blood pressure. When you have high blood pressure and you do a couple of exercise it will reduce the chances of you getting hypertension (full blown). If you already are having the hypertension and you keep doing exercise it will help a lot in lowering the levels of your blood pressure to levels that are very safe. Jogging, swimming, dancing or even maybe cycling are the few exercises that you can practice that can help in reducing your levels of blood pressure.
- Losing extra pounds and watching your waistline – As your weight increases so does your blood pressure. Being overweight sometimes interrupts with your breathing in turn raising your blood pressure. Losing some pounds will help in reducing your blood pressure. You should also be careful to not let all your weigh settle on your waistline since it is also accelerates your blood pressure. A waistline of more than 40 inches puts men to a higher risk while for women it’s a waistline of more than 35 inches.
- Reducing the amount of sodium in your diet – Reducing the amount of sodium intake in your meals reduces the levels of blood pressure by say approximately 2 to 8 mm hg. Different people are affected differently by sodium intake on their blood pressure. The question is how do I reduce my intake of sodium? One is that you are supposed to read labels on food so that you can be able to choose one with low sodium levels. By also eating less of processed foods since most processed foods contain a large amount of sodium and lastly not adding any salt in your food just spices or herbs to improve the flavor in your food.